Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Introduction

Well, I've posted a few book reviews on here, but have done nothing else.  I think it has come time for me to blog about more than just the books I've read and more about who I am and what my heart has to say.
  First off, welcome to my blog!  My name is Melissa.  I have recently become both a Pastor's wife and an empty nester.  I am adjusting to both of these new roles in life and let me tell you it is an adventure!!!
  I met my husband in Bible College and from the moment we met, I knew he was the one.  I don't know how but I just knew.  We were married a short 9 months from the time we met.  We've recently celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary and our love is stronger today than it was in the beginning!  As I said earlier, he has recently accepted a pastorate.  The church is a small country church and we love the people there.  The
 transition from wife to Pastor's wife has not been a difficult one at all.
  HOWEVER...the transition from being a full-time mom to a wonderful daughter to being an empty nester is, to say the least, challenging.  My daughter and I have, for the most part, always been close.  I'm learning that there are times when only a mom will do but most of the time I need to be a friend to her as I would to my other friends.  Listening, not judging, not prying, but there.  I was asked by a friend the other day if I missed her being home.  I said "yes.....and no...."  I felt guilty.  Then I got thinking that wasn't a bad answer.  She is gaining her independence and becoming a beautiful young adult and I and her dad are finding our new life as well.  Our roles and relationships have changed but that doesn't mean the love isn't there anymore.  It is just different.  Learning to let go is difficult.  There is a song I love that describes this whole process.  The chorus says, "I pray that God will fill your heart with dreams. And that faith gives you the courage to dare to do great things. I'm here for you whatever this life brings.  Let my love give you roots and help you find your wings."  We've given her the roots as she's grown (the best we knew how) and now it is her time to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment